SLOVIANSK, Ukraine (AP) – Ukrainian military personnel are fortifying their positions around the eastern city of Sloviansk in expectation of a fresh Russian attempt to seize the strategic point in the fiercely fought-over Donetsk region. As heavy ground fighting continues on the front line only miles to the east, southeast and north of Sloviansk, members of the Dnipro-1 Regiment are digging in after a week of relative calm. The last Russian strike on the city occurred on July 30. While the lull provided Sloviansk's remaining residents a reprieve after regular shellings between April and July, some unit members say it could be a prelude to renewed attacks. "I think it won't be calm for long. Eventually, there will be an assault," Col. Yurii Bereza, the head of the volunteer national guard regiment, told The Associated Press on Friday, adding that he expected the area to get "hot" in the coming days. Sloviansk is considered a strategic target in Moscow's ambitions to seize all of Donetsk province, a largely Russian-speaking area in eastern Ukraine where Russian forces and pro-Moscow separatists control about 60% of the territory. Russia Says Kyiv’s Last Stronghold in Luhansk Province Has Fallen https://t.co/YaCJFfpo02 — Breitbart London (@BreitbartLondon)… Read full this story
- Russian Spy or Hustling Political Operative? The Enigmatic Figure at the Heart of Mueller’s Inquiry
- US and NATO must stand up to Russian aggression on the seas
- In High-Tech Cities, No More Potholes, but What About Privacy?
- CNN inside Aleppo: A city on edge, trying to survive
- Tension soars as Russia seizes Ukrainian vessels, blocks sea passage
- Ukraine’s War on Russian Disinformation Is a Lesson for America
- Ukrainian Orthodox Christians Formally Break From Russia
- Spurred by Western criticism, Russians experience something new: patriotism
- Ukrainians Vote, in Europe’s Only Country at War
- Comey says he was RIGHT to start Russian collusion probe into Trump
Ukrainians Dig In as Russians Prepare to Assault Key Eastern City have 312 words, post on www.breitbart.com at August 6, 2022. This is cached page on IT Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.