The big picture: Hydrogen fuel cell trucks could become a great alternative to battery-powered electric semis in the future. They feature a range and load capacity closer to diesel-powered trucks, with refueling being far quicker than charging an EV. However, hydrogen production and distribution don’t always use renewable sources, meaning it’s not necessarily a “green” solution. Volvo’s truck manufacturing division has just announced that it’s testing vehicles powered by hydrogen fuel cells. The company claims these trucks will have an operational range of up to 1,000 km (621 miles), a refueling time of under 15 minutes, and a total weight (including freight) of over 65 tons. If those figures are accurate, it sounds like an attractive alternative to battery-powered electric semis for long hauling. For comparison, the Tesla Semi has an advertised range of up to 800 km (497 miles) and will reportedly take over 30 minutes to charge at a megawatt charging station. Each truck will come equipped with two hydrogen fuel cells that can generate 300 kW of electricity onboard. CellCentric, a joint venture between Volvo Group and Daimler, will be the supplier of these cells. The advantage of using hydrogen as a fuel is that it only… Read full this story
- India to develop and build first indigenous Hydrogen Fuel Cell Vessel
- Revamped Toyota Mirai Hydrogen Fuel Cell Sedan Arrives In Late 2020, Now With Style
- India to develop indigenous hydrogen fuel cell vessel at CSL
- S.Africa launches the world's biggest hydrogen-fueled truck
- BMW i Hydrogen NEXT is a fuel cell X5 planned for production
- Cochin Shipyard to develop, build first indigenous hydrogen-fuelled electric vessels
- Energy crisis: UK hydrogen breakthrough paves way for 'cheap' truly green power
- Hydrogen vehicles should cost the same to run as diesel - UK praised as fuel 'role model'
- Hopium develops prototypes of hydrogen-powered Machina on Dassault Systèmes3D Experience platform on the cloud
- Nikola’s Electric Big Rig Beats Delayed Tesla Semi To Market
Upcoming hydrogen fuel cell semis from Volvo will have a 621-mile range have 311 words, post on www.techspot.com at June 22, 2022. This is cached page on IT Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.