Why it matters: Most people know Instagram can have a negative impact on mental health, especially for teenage girls with body image issues. Even Facebook knows this, as shown by internal research it has carried out over the last three years that it kept secret. Leaked Facebook documents obtained by the Wall Street Journal show that the social network has spent the last few years examining the effects Instagram has on younger users’ mental health. The company has long insisted that social media can positively impact users’ state of mind, but its own research appears to contradict those statements. “We make body image issues worse for one in three teen girls,” reads a slide from one internal presentation in 2019. “Thirty-two per cent of teen girls said that when they felt bad about their bodies, Instagram made them feel worse,” researchers said in another presentation from March 2020. “Teens blame Instagram for increases in the rate of anxiety and depression. This reaction was unprompted and consistent across all groups.” The results of a study of teens who had suicidal thoughts found that 13% of British users and 6% of American users could trace their issues back to Instagram. Elsewhere, more… Read full this story
- COVID-19: Liverpool mass testing pilot 'not reaching city's poorest people', leaked documents show
- These are the key arguments in the antitrust case against Facebook
- Facebook breakup would demolish Mark Zuckerberg’s social media global empire
- Facebook’s Global Ad Machine Is The Company’s $80 Billion Annual Lifeblood. Workers Say It Puts Profits Over People.
- Facebook Gets Rich Off Of Ads That Rip Off Its Users
- Defiant Rebekah Vardy insists she did not leak Danielle Lloyd pregnancy news in ‘revenge’ over WAG spat
- Facebook to Remove 'Misinformation' and 'Conspiracy Theories' on COVID-19 Vaccines
- 'Siri, that's NOT Tiktok!' Three-year-old girl has hilarious tantrum when virtual assistant keeps misunderstanding her
- US sues Facebook over acquiring WhatsApp, Instagram
- Facebook, Amazon, Apple, Google Are Monopolists, House Antitrust Subcommittee Finds, Seeks Changes
Leaked documents show Facebook understands how harmful Instagram is to teenage girls have 319 words, post on www.techspot.com at September 15, 2021. This is cached page on IT Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.