The Taiwanese government has recruited tech giants Foxconn and Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC) to purchase COVID-19 vaccines on its behalf. As reported by Nikkei Asia , the Taiwanese government said on Friday it would allow both companies to negotiate on its behalf with German-based vaccine maker BioNTech. While negotiations are ongoing, both companies said they are looking to purchase 5 million doses each, before donating them to the government. “The government thinks that it may be easier for companies to reach out to vaccine makers or distributors to lower the geopolitical interference,” one source told Nikkei Asia . Taiwan has been struggling to secure vaccines due to geopolitical tension. President Tsai Ing-wen had previously accused China of interfering in her government’s attempt to buy vaccines from BioNTech, something in which Beijing has strongly denied. The Taiwanese Department of Information Services revealed that as of Friday, 1.24 million doses had been donated by Japan, and confirmed all cities and counties had begun “actively” administering the jabs last week. On Sunday, Taiwan President Tsai Ing-wen took to Twitter to also welcome 2.5 million doses from the United States. It comes after the United States had already donated an initial 750,000 doses. Taiwan’s… Read full this story
- Foxconn: Taiwan's Foxconn, TSMC confirm $350 million COVID-19 vaccine deal
- TSMC says it is in the process of signing a deal for BioNTech COVID-19 vaccines
- Taiwan's Foxconn, TSMC confirm US$350 million COVID-19 vaccine deal with BioNTech
- Japan to provide millions more COVID-19 vaccine doses to Taiwan, Asian neighbours
- Japan to ship millions more COVID-19 vaccines to Taiwan, Asian neighbors this week
- Vietnam’s business group allowed to buy 40mn doses of Russia’s COVID-19 vaccine
- Zydus Cadila's Covid-19 Vaccine for Children Aged 12-18 May be Available Soon: Centre
- Male teen suffers cardiac arrest after weightlifting session 6 days after first Covid-19 vaccination
- China to Provide 5 Lakh Doses of Covid-19 Vaccine to Pakistan as a 'Gesture Of Goodwill'
- When will kids be able to get COVID-19 vaccines?
Foxconn and TSMC granted permission to buy COVID-19 vaccines for Taiwan: Report have 316 words, post on www.zdnet.com at June 21, 2021. This is cached page on IT Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.