General Motors is considering building a second battery factory in the United States, The Wall Street Journal reports , in order to ramp up its production of electric vehicles in the interest of becoming a completely carbon neutral company by the year 2040 . The factory would be built in collaboration with LG Chem, the South Korean battery maker that is already working with GM on a battery factory in northern Ohio. According to the Journal , the second facility is likely to be located in Tennessee, though a final location has yet to be selected. A spokesperson for GM confirmed that a second factory is being discussed with LG Chem, and a decision is expected sometime in the first half of 2021. GM announced the construction of its first battery factory in December 2019. The automaker set up a joint venture with LG Chem, with the two companies committing to spend $2.3 billion on a new facility located in Lordstown, Ohio. GM, the largest automaker in North America based on sales, is increasingly staking its future on electric vehicles. The company has vowed to spend $27 billion on the development and production of 30 new electric vehicles by 2025,… Read full this story
- Faraday Future, still hemorrhaging staff, now plans to build a much smaller factory
- Battery makers in demand with global carmakers
- What Happens After a ‘Million-Mile Battery’ Outlasts the Car?
- Special Report: How the Trump administration secured a secret supply of execution drugs
- The Hill's Coronavirus Report: DC's Bowser says protesters and nation were 'assaulted' in front of Lafayette Square last month; Brazil's Bolsonaro, noted virus skeptic, tests positive for COVID-19
- Special Report: China expands amphibious forces in challenge to U.S. beyond Asia
- Special Report: With 'judges judging judges,' rogues on the bench have little to fear
- Tesla supplier develops battery that will last for 16 years and a MILLION miles in breakthrough that could transform electric vehicle market
- Elon Musk says Tesla vehicles are 'very close' to being completely autonomous and will reach 'basic functionality' by end of 2020, allowing the cars to drive without human input
- Coronavirus Report: The Hill's Steve Clemons interviews Chris Christie
GM is close to building a second EV battery factory in the US, report says have 343 words, post on www.theverge.com at March 4, 2021. This is cached page on IT Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.