Video PlayerClose — British Health Secretary Matt Hancock warned that a new strain of COVID-19 is “out of control” in Britain. — The new variant may be up to 70 percent more transmissible, according to Prime Minister Boris Johnson, who announced stronger coronavirus restrictions. — The good news is that no evidence has yet been found that the new strain could affect the effectiveness of vaccines. — European countries and Canada began to ban flights from Britain. LONDON, Dec. 22 (Xinhua) — For Britons, Europeans and perhaps a significant number of people around the world, the coming Christmas holiday is like no other — a “coronavirus Christmas” when people will be largely grounded indoors as they are bracing themselves for a challenging time together. A highly infectious new strain of the coronavirus recently reported in Britain has sounded fresh alarm on COVID-19 which has infected more than 77 million people and caused over 1.7 million deaths worldwide. Photo taken on Dec. 21, 2020 shows The Mall in front of Buckingham Palace in London, Britain. (Xinhua/Han Yan) The new variant has sent Britons particularly on another “rollercoaster” ride of their emotions as the planned relaxation of coronavirus rules for Christmas was… Read full this story
- CDC to label delta COVID-19 strain a 'variant of concern,' say vaccines 'effective'
- S'pore to restrict travel from the UK due to new Covid-19 strain, potentially more contagious
- What we know so far about Covid-19 immunity -- and what it means for vaccine boosters
- Nearly every new Covid-19 death is now entirely preventable, CDC director says
- Here's Everything You Need to Know About 'Lambda', the New COVID-19 Variant Found in 29 Countries
- US Covid-19 response faces doozy of a challenge: Vaccinating kids
- Delta Covid-19 Variant Becoming Globally Dominant, Says WHO Chief Scientist
- Coronavirus: US reports first case of new COVID-19 variant in Colorado
- A New Covid-19 Variant From Nigeria Raises Increased Concerns For Containment And Vaccination
- Commentary: India’s second COVID-19 wave threatens global supplies of vaccines
Xinhua Headlines: New COVID-19 strain provokes global alarm, unlikely to compromise vaccine effectiveness have 311 words, post on www.xinhuanet.com at December 22, 2020. This is cached page on IT Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.