Video PlayerClose — The Yangtze River, China’s longest waterway, boasts one of the highest levels of biodiversity in the world. However, the protection situation of some rare and unique aquatic species is grim. — In January, in a significant move to protect biodiversity, China began a 10-year fishing moratorium in 332 conservation areas in the basin, which will expand to all the natural waterways of the river and its major tributaries from no later than Jan. 1, 2021. — The effort is seeing notable results. The biodiversity is recovering in the Yangtze, with the species number increasing, endangered species protected, and water quality further improved. by Xinhua writers Wang Haiyue, Xu Ruiqing, Hang Xiaobo, Zhu Xiao HEFEI/NANJING, Dec. 24 (Xinhua) — Instead of sailing a boat and catching fish on the Yangtze River, ex-fisherman Wang Gende’s daily work now is skippering an engineering boat to provide port services on the longest waterway in China. “Many kinds of fish and creatures have reappeared after fishermen moved ashore and stopped fishing,” said Wang, from Yuanjiang Village in Anqing City, east China’s Anhui Province. The Yangtze, which stretches over 6,300 km, has a rich and complex terrain and climate along its basin and… Read full this story
- Yangtze River fishing ban in full swing; 111,000 boats grounded
- Fishing ban brings rare species back to China's largest freshwater lake
- Across China: Fishing ban brings rare fish back to China's largest freshwater lake
- Xi-led river conservation initiatives spearhead ecological protection
- Increasing fish varieties reported in China's Yangtze River
- China probes heaps of dead pigs along Yellow River
- Enforcement targets illegal fishing operations
- Xi Focus: Xi-led river conservation initiatives spearhead ecological protection
- Feature: Restoring the grace of China's "mother river"
- Dam-Building Race Threatening the Lower Mekong River Basin
Xinhua Headlines: Biodiversity recovering in China's longest river with fishing ban have 278 words, post on www.xinhuanet.com at December 24, 2020. This is cached page on IT Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.