By Joshua Berlinger , CNN Business Updated 0347 GMT (1147 HKT) December 11, 2020 (CNN Business) The Hong Kong neighborhood of Wan Chai may be home to the most eclectic and densest concentration of US-sanctioned enterprises anywhere on the planet. In less space than a square mile, you’ve got offices tied to: an alleged financier for Hezbollah , the Lebanese militant group; an individual accused of helping Iran acquire millions of dollars of military equipment in violation of US sanctions; a man accused of helping Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro plunder his country’s resources; and a company that allegedly opened a bank in North Korea in violation of United Nations Security Council resolutions. As if that wasn’t enough, there’s also an office tied to a powerful Southeast Asian militia and a casino mogul accused of trafficking drugs, wildlife and even humans. Walk these streets on the northern part of Hong Kong Island by day, however, and you’ll likely see well-dressed professionals out to lunch. At night, it’s twenty-somethings getting drunk in rowdy bars — not drug lords slinging kilos of methamphetamine or gun runners trying to sell crates of AK-47s. That’s because all five offices appear to be front companies. Front… Read full this story
- From Shake Shack to Starbucks, the Hong Kong-China standoff is proving bad for business
- DealBook Briefing: China Is Now a Minefield for Western Companies
- TOI Top 10: Why're savings a/cs headed to 1970s?
- Buying Time: The Scramble for Fresh Capital in Professional Football
- DealBook Briefing: N.Y.C. Official Calls for Mandatory Diversity Effort in the Boardroom
- VIETNAM NEWS HEADLINES OCTOBER 8
- Gianna Sgambelluri takes crown as Miss World Guam 2018
- VIETNAM NEWS HEADLINES OCTOBER 9
- Sundance film festival to showcase Zac Efron as Ted Bundy and documentaries on Weinstein and Ocasio-Cortez
- Inside the hunt for the world’s most dangerous terrorist
The Wan Chai connection: The Washington-accused drug lords, gun runners and dictators' financiers tied to one Hong Kong district have 299 words, post on edition.cnn.com at December 10, 2020. This is cached page on IT Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.