There will be an “assault weapons” ban, background checks at more points of sale, and longer waits to complete those background checks, if Democrats win control of the Senate via the January 5, 2021, Georgia run-off elections.In 2019 NPR reported the Democrat-controlled U.S. House passed universal background checks legislation in honor of the eighth anniversary of the January 8, 2011, firearm-based attack on Gabby Giffords. The legislation would expand the background check requirement from retail sales only, so as to include private sales as well. Democrats did not mention that Giffords’ attacker acquired his gun at retail via a background check; therefore, the Democrats’ legislation would not have prevented his getting his gun or carrying out his attack. Nonetheless, Democrats immediately began pressuring the Republican-controlled Senate to take the measure up for a vote, but Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) never brought it up for a vote. A Democrat-controlled Senate would almost certainly consider legislation for such background checks at the earliest opportunity. House Democrats also passed legislation to expand the number of days a background check can last. Called the Enhanced Background Checks Act, Business Insider reported that it “would extend the current background check review period from three… Read full this story
- Brazil presidential candidates seek to soften images ahead of run-off
- Brazil's right-wing candidate Jair Bolsonaro headed for run-off in presidential election
- Corporations and guns: How companies are reshaping the gun control debate
- Impeachment tests Democrats’ foothold in swing districts
- Impeachment tests Democrats' foothold in swing districts
- Fell running with 'unfair' GPS ban bid
- 2020 Sunday Trail Markers: Can a Democratic gov survive in Louisiana?
- Jos Buttler leads England resistance as hosts build 233-run lead to leave fourth Test in the balance
- Brett Kavanaugh sworn in as Supreme Court judge after winning Senate vote by 50 to 48
- AP Top 25 Reality Check: Super 6 has rankings on lockdown
Gun Bans, More Background Checks if Democrats Win in Georgia Run-Offs have 299 words, post on www.breitbart.com at December 12, 2020. This is cached page on IT Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.