Sunak’s big day at Tory conference at a glance: Mr Sunak heaped praise on ‘special’ Boris Johnson, saying he had made the right ‘big calls’ on coronavirus. He said they were ‘close personal friends’ and their families were ‘very joined’ in No10 and No11 – noting that his daughters love the PM’s dog Dilyn.The Chancellor made clear that tax rises are looming to ‘balance the books’ after the immediate coronavirus crisis eases. He said the Tories would not stand for anything if they allowed debt and borrowing to spiral.Mr Sunak said he had ‘no regrets’ about the Eat Out scheme despite the PM admitting it might have fueled Covid cases. He said although Tories believed in ‘individual freedom’, the Government would always stand ‘between the people and the danger’ of the pandemic. The Chancellor conceded that he will not be able to save all jobs, but said he would work flat out to boost ‘opportunity’ and hinted that there could be a version of the Eat Out scheme for cinemas and theatres. Advertisement Rishi Sunak warned of tax rises to come and lavished praise on ‘special’ Boris Johnson today as he tried to quell growing rumours of a feud over lockdown.The Chancellor hailed… Read full this story
- UK recession fears and rivalries take the shine off Rishi Sunak
- Boris Johnson wants to slash social distancing to one metre to help kick-start the economy and save millions of jobs - as Matt Hancock insists Government is taking 'safety first' approach
- The bleakest midwinter: Boris Johnson warns No Deal is now 'very likely' after plunging 38 million into Tier 3 lockdown misery as Belfast announces six-week full lockdown from Boxing Day and fears grow the whole of UK will shut again to pay for Christmas
- Rishi Sunak raises fears Covid curbs will drag on longer as he extends furlough scheme by ANOTHER month to the end of April adding an extra £5bn to government's debt mountain
- Spending Review RECAP: Rishi Sunak says UK in 'economic emergency' with 'lasting damage'
- We'll drink to that! Pub and restaurant bosses welcome Rishi Sunak's 'new furlough scheme' to help hospitality sector and self-employed... but warn it will STILL be a tough winter for many
- 'Merkel wants Britain to walk across broken glass': Chance of No Deal Brexit 'hits 80%' as Boris Johnson takes personal control of preparations before talks expire TODAY and UK insiders blame German intransigence
- Rishi Sunak promises £3bn 'Restart' jobs scheme in Spending Review
- 'Glad tidings of great joy': Boris Johnson presents his Brexit gift to Britain in Christmas video message as Tory Brexiteers AND Labour look set to back agreement in Parliament vote next week
- Britain could be free of lockdowns by February with Oxford's Covid vaccine due to be rolled out within days as Rishi Sunak hails a bold 'new era' for Britain
Tax rises ARE coming: Rishi Sunak warns he WILL need to balance the books after Covid crisis as he desperately tries to quell rumours of feud with 'special' Boris Johnson and vows to protect jobs in speech to Tory faithful have 465 words, post on www.dailymail.co.uk at October 5, 2020. This is cached page on IT Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.