WELLINGTON: New Zealand will lift coronavirus restrictions across the country on Sep 21, except in its biggest city Auckland which is the epicentre of a second wave of infections, Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said on Monday (Sep 14). Ardern said Auckland’s restrictions would be reviewed next Monday. She also said the government would immediately ease all physical distancing requirements on planes, a boost for Air New Zealand, which has had to limit passengers on its planes for months. “I know this change will make a real difference to Air New Zealand and those parts of the country seeking increased numbers of visitors,” Ardern said in a news conference in the South Island city of Dunedin, where she is on an election campaign trip. Masks will still be mandatory on all public transport, she said. READ: Crowds rally in New Zealand’s Auckland against COVID-19 lockdown New Zealand, a nation of 5 million, had appeared to have succeeded in halting community transmission of COVID-19, but a fresh outbreak in Auckland in August prompted the government to place the city back in lockdown. Over the weekend, large crowds of people rallied in Auckland against the government’s social distancing restrictions imposed on the country’s largest city after… Read full this story
- Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy will be exempt from New Zealand's coronavirus lockdown and classed as 'essential workers', PM Jacinda Ardern reassures children
- Commuters stream to work as Malaysia lifts coronavirus curbs on movement
- China fires back at New Zealand: War of words escalates as Beijing denies trying to persuade the Kiwis not to enforce strict coronavirus lockdown
- New Zealand barber snips away at midnight as nation reopens
- Coronavirus lockdown | New Zealand to reopen malls, cafes from Thursday after COVID-19 curbs eased
- Who is New Zealand’s prime minister Jacinda Ardern and how did she win the battle against coronavirus?
- Revealed: The stunning island that is hoping to join the Trans-Tasman bubble between Australia and New Zealand
- New Zealand to reopen malls, cafes from Thursday as virus curbs eased
- New Zealanders queue up for haircuts at MIDNIGHT as lockdown is lifted: Friends mingle and shoppers return to malls as country enters 'new normal' today
- New Zealand records ANOTHER day without any new coronavirus cases
New Zealand to lift coronavirus curbs in most of country on Sep 21 have 365 words, post on www.channelnewsasia.com at September 14, 2020. This is cached page on IT Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.