The Queen’s favourite sporting event, Royal Ascot, is considering axing Rule Britannia and Land of Hope and Glory from its singalong next year. Organisers have confirmed they will potentially scrap the songs from the five-day Berkshire festival’s world-famous bandstand celebrations in 2021. Hundreds of race-goers have gathered to sing around the bandstand at 6pm to celebrate the end of each day at Royal Ascot every year for over four decades. The performance, which has been sung by John Park for 12 years, ends in renditions of Jerusalem, Rule Britannia, Land of Hope and Glory, and God Save the Queen. Now festival bosses fear the inclusion of the anthems, which have been criticised by anti-racism campaigners for their perceived association with slavery, would cause a ‘backlash’ and create ‘most unwelcome attention’, an insider claimed. It comes as the BBC is strongly condemned over its decision to censor the lyrics of the Proms anthems and play instrumental versions because woke activists find them ‘racist’ – with critics including an ex-BBC chairman and Boris Johnson. In other developments in the Proms row yesterday: Ex-BBC chairman Michael Grade attacked ‘idiotic’ and out of touch’ corporation; BBC insiders blasted bosses for ‘walking into an unnecessary… Read full this story
- More than 500,000 Britons face a scramble to get home amid fears France, Holland, Switzerland, Poland and Malta could all be added to UK's quarantine list
- UK's coronavirus bailout hits £310BILLION: Rishi Sunak hints at a tax and spend reckoning to come amid Tory panic at rising debts - after he unveils ANOTHER £30bn of crisis spending with VAT and stamp duty cuts to save jobs
- Turkey refugee deal 'is ILLEGAL': UN Human rights groups warn that collective expulsion of foreigners is banned under international law
- Coronavirus latest: Europe opens up for tourism
- France 'is just days from being added to Britain's quarantine list' and the Netherlands and Malta could be next as Boris Johnson warns he 'will not hesitate' to impose coronavirus restrictions on travellers from more countries
- One Town’s War on Gay Teens
Royal Ascot considers axing Rule Britannia and Land of Hope And Glory from traditional singalong amid fears of a backlash over 'racism' have 333 words, post on www.dailymail.co.uk at August 27, 2020. This is cached page on IT Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.