WASHINGTON (AP) — China has fast become a top election issue as President Donald Trump and Democrat Joe Biden engage in a verbal brawl over who’s better at playing the tough guy against Beijing. The Trump campaign put out ads showing Biden toasting China’s Xi Jinping, even though Trump did just that with Xi in Asia and hosted the Chinese leader at his Florida club. Spots from the Biden campaign feature Trump playing down the coronavirus and praising Xi for being transparent about the pandemic, even though it’s clear China hid details of the outbreak from the world. “I think it’s going to be absolutely critical, but I don’t know who is going to have the advantage,” said Republican pollster Frank Luntz. He has been reviewing the ads and thinks China is one of the three leading issues along with the economy and the handling of the coronavirus. China is not just a foreign policy issue in the November election. It’s an issue that runs deeply through the troubles with the virus, which tanked the U.S. economy. Voters also will be asking themselves whether Trump or Biden can best defend the U.S. against China’s unfair trade practices, theft of intellectual… Read full this story
- Facing Subpoenas, Trump Allies Try to Run Out the Clock on Democrats
- Joe Biden to sign bill punishing China for Uyghur forced labor in Xinjiang
- Biden-Xi Meeting Live Updates: Presidents agree not to 'veer into conflict' in three-hour talks
- Aides got Trump to delay tariffs by telling President it could 'ruin Christmas'
- Trump's deal with Japan won't make up for farmers' losses caused by president's trade wars, says expert
- Joe Biden Still Holding his Own on Evidence of Latest Debate
- Exclusive -- Rubio: Hispanic Shift Toward GOP and Trump May Be 'Permanent'
- Will Biden's 2021 foreign policy failures reverberate in 2022?
- Why you shouldn't expect a Biden shake-up
- Biden’s China Dilemma: How to Enforce Trump’s Trade Deal
Trump, Biden try to outdo each other on tough talk on China have 321 words, post on www.sfchronicle.com at July 12, 2020. This is cached page on IT Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.