COVID-19 infections in Afghanistan rose by 684% in May, the International Rescue Committee said in a statement Monday. “The country’s extremely low testing capacity means many more are going untested and undetected,” according to the Committee. Millions of Afghans were already facing food insecurity after decades of conflict and now the economic strain of the COVID pandemic “leaves Afghanistan on the brink of a humanitarian disaster,” IRC said. Russia reported 9,035 new COVID-19 infections Monday. Only the U.S. and Brazil have more cases than Russia. South African schools were scheduled to open Monday, but those plans were canceled at the last minute. The health ministry had received pushback from teacher unions, school staff and governing boards about the opening date. South African President Cyril Ramaphosa said on Twitter that there is a need for “transparency about the level of preparedness of each of the schools.” The White House announced Sunday that it has delivered two million doses of hydroxychloroquine, or HCQ, to Brazil to help the South American country in its fight against the coronavirus. “HCQ will be used as a prophylactic to help defend Brazil’s nurses, doctors, and healthcare professionals against the virus,” the White… Read full this story
- Some Lebanese Fear Going Hungry More Than COVID-19 Infection
- Natco pharma joins Columbia University trials using Chloroquine Phosphate to prevent Covid-19 infections
- Natco's Chloroquine for international study on Covid-19 infection prevention
- Delirium and agitation may follow Covid-19 infection, study says
- Coronavirus decoded: Here's why children are at a lower risk of Covid-19 infection as compared to adults
- Coronavirus | COVID-19 infections top 5 million worldwide
- How vulnerable are India's states to Covid-19 infections?
- One more COVID-19 infection case confirmed, total rises to 326
- One more COVID-19 infection case confirmed, total rises to 327
- Can Kerala restrict number of COVID-19 infections to just 6,000?
COVID-19 Infections Rise 684% in Afghanistan have 305 words, post on www.voanews.com at June 1, 2020. This is cached page on IT Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.