PITTSBURGH (KDKA) – Have we passed the reopening test to justify moving our southwestern region from “red” into the “yellow” phase? In two of the three main categories of Gov. Tom Wolf’s reopening plan, our region has done quite well. The number of new cases has remained low throughout the pandemic, and our hospital systems have never been stressed. UPMC now has less than 40 COVID-19 cases in all of its Southwestern Pennsylvania hospitals and has used less than 2 percent of its beds. “Our hospital system has never been even close to stressed, even at our peak,” said Dr. Steven Shapiro of UPMC. One lingering question is whether we’ve done enough testing. Including Wednesday’s tally of 19 new coronavirus cases, Allegheny County has averaged 22 cases a day over the past two weeks — well under the state’s metric of 50 cases per 100,000 residents over 14 days. RELATED STORIES: Coronavirus In Pennsylvania: Gov. Wolf Says Southwest Region Is Doing A ‘Phenomenal’ Job And A Reopening Announcement Will Be Made ‘Soon’ ‘Once We Meet A Criteria, It Seems The Bar Is Raised’: Local Businesses Disappointed Restrictions Won’t Be Lifted In The Southwest Region Come Friday Pa. Health Sec.: ‘Population… Read full this story
- States move forward with Tuesday elections as coronavirus pandemic alters American life
- UPMC Looking To Expand Testing To Other Parts Of State
- UK has a SHORTAGE of coronavirus test kits, top doctor warns after US flies in a batch of 500,000 swabs from Italy and chief British scientist says current testing is 'clearly not enough'
- Fate of 'Phase Three' coronavirus stimulus package uncertain after Senate fails to move forward amid Dem opposition
- Baby Doll singer Kanika Kapoor says she tested positive for coronavirus
- Boris Johnson pledges 'game-changing' coronavirus antibody kit could be within sight amid row over testing shambles as nurses 'are told to return to work BEFORE getting the all-clear'
- Lori Vallow's husband Chad Daybell says her two missing children are 'safe' as he leaves Hawaii for Idaho, where she will face charges over the kids' disappearance
- Health Secretary Matt Hancock announces 3.5million antibody tests have been purchased - as new coronavirus testing facility opens TODAY
- Rikers Island prison officer tests positive for coronavirus - while notorious inmates across the US including Ponzi schemer Bernard Madoff and cocaine kingpin Gilberto Rodriguez-Orejuela seek 'get out of jail free' cards because of the global outbreak
- Now Rikers Island inmate and guard test positive for coronavirus bringing total to three cases in the NYC prison system as the city considers freeing 'vulnerable and sick' prisoners
‘Very Comfortable With Moving Forward’: UPMC, County Say We’ve Done Enough Testing To Safely Reopen have 413 words, post on pittsburgh.cbslocal.com at May 6, 2020. This is cached page on IT Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.