Kindly Share This Story:…Says Nigeria, Tanzania, Congo, others’ll be hard hit in under-5, other deaths …As World physicians warn against withholding funds from WHO By Chioma Obinna, with agency reports The United Nations Emergency Fund, UNICEF, has warned that lockdown could kill more people than COVID-19, predicting there could be 1.2 million child deaths. The warning came at a time physicians all over the world also called on governments not to relent in providing the World Health Organisation, WHO, with sufficient funds, warning that withholding funds to the organisation as this time of a pandemic was neither helpful nor safe. This warning came ahead of the 73rd World Health Assembly which begins tomorrow. UNICEF noted that “indiscriminate lockdowns were an ineffective way to control COVID-19 and could contribute to a 45 percent rise in child mortality.” It contended further the risk of children dying from malaria, pneumonia or diarrhoea in developing countries was spiralling due to the pandemic and “far outweighs any threat presented by the coronavirus.’’ Chief of Health at UNICEF, Dr Stefan Peterson, cautioned in an interview with The Telegraph in London that the blanket lockdowns imposed in many low and middle income countries were not an effective… Read full this story
- Diarrhoea kills more children in war zones than war itself – Unicef
- 2.5m children in Nigeria suffering severe acute malnutrition — UNICEF
- No let up in weather woe as Britain faces weekend washout with more than 70 flood warnings still in place after week's worth of rain hits South West in one day
- Insecurity: Parents now afraid to send children to school — UNICEF
- Mallee, Northern Country residents urged to evacuate amid code red bushfire warning in Victoria
- 'We shouldn't be hitting things every 15,000 miles': Uber employee warned firm of self-driving safety risks five days before autonomous car struck and killed a pedestrian
- Four killed in sub-zero temperatures with two freezing to death and two killed on icy roads
- World Antibiotic Awareness: Misuse of antibiotics dangerous to health – WHO warns
- 'Killer robots could take the place of soldiers' in 'a war triggered by a massive cyberattack', UN Secretary-General warns, as he calls for ban on 'machines that have the power to kill'
- Vladimir Putin dismisses Greta Thunberg as a ‘poorly informed teen’ and says poor countries can’t be denied chance to become as rich as Sweden
UNICEF warns lockdown could kill more than COVID-19 in developing countries have 379 words, post on www.vanguardngr.com at May 18, 2020. This is cached page on IT Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.