WASHINGTON (AP) — The Trump administration is tightening visa guidelines for Chinese journalists in response to the treatment of U.S. journalists in China, as tensions flare between the two nations over the coronavirus. The Department of Homeland Security has issued new regulations, set to take effect Monday, that will limit visas for Chinese reporters to 90 days. There is a potential to extend the visa. Those visas previously didn’t have to be extended unless the employee switched companies, and they were considered open-ended. The regulations don’t apply to journalists from Hong Kong or Macau, two territories considered semiautonomous, according to the regulations published Friday in the Federal Register. The agency noted what it called China’s “suppression of independent journalism , ” including “an increasing lack of transparency.” It was the latest strike in a tit-for-tat over media rights between the countries. In March, China said it would revoke credentials of all American journalists at three major U.S. news organizations, in effect expelling them from the country, in response to U.S. restrictions on Chinese state-controlled media. Tensions between the two nations have only increased in recent months as leaders trade barbs over handling of the pandemic that has crippled economies worldwide… Read full this story
- Trump administration moves to restrict immigrants who use public benefits
- ‘Trump Administration’s Big Plan Is to Force US Companies Out of China’ – Journo
- 'Trump Administration Will Continue to Use China as Bogeyman' – Scholar
- Trump Administration Trying to Restrain the President
- Legal fight for justice: American Civil Liberties Union gears up for assault on Trump administration
- Trump administration less concerned about conserving oil
- Third US Federal Judge Says 'Capricious' Trump Administration Must Restore DACA
- Trump Administration Seeks to ‘Undermine’ Asylum Laws With Immigration Policy
- Trump administration ‘considering sending alleged Isil Beatles fighters to Guantanamo Bay'
- Who is the anonymous Trump administration official? The runners and riders
Trump administration tightens visas for Chinese reporters have 304 words, post on www.sfchronicle.com at May 9, 2020. This is cached page on IT Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.