London is recording fewer than 24 new Covid-19 cases a day and could see the virus eradicated within weeks, according to new data. Analysis by Public Health England and Cambridge University calculated that the ‘R’ reproduction rate has fallen to 0.4 in the capital, with the number of new cases halving every 3.5 days. The figure shows the capital, once the worst-affected region of the country, is now ahead of every other area in recovering and could see all new cases eliminated by June. It is believed that London had been on downward trend in the rate of infections before of the rest of the country because of social distancing measures that were being encouraged on public transport before the lockdown began. Meanwhile, the North East of England is recording 4,000 daily infections and has an R rate of 0.8, twice that of the capital after seeing a slower increase in cases at the start of the pandemic. It is vital that this number – which is thought to have been between 3.5 and 4 at the start of the crisis – stays below 1, otherwise the outbreak will start to rapidly spiral again as people infect others around them at… Read full this story
- China announces just 394 new cases of the killer coronavirus – the lowest daily toll in a MONTH as Beijing says outbreak control efforts 'are working'
- Americans disembark from virus-hit cruise; China says new cases slow
- COVID-19 | Americans disembark from virus-hit cruise; China says new cases slow
- Novel coronavirus deaths top 2,200 as number of new cases in China rises again
- Coronavirus: Sharp rise in Hubei's death toll as number of new cases drops in China
- Trump made 56 false claims last week, including debunked New Hampshire conspiracy theory
- Coronavirus spreading with new cases reported around the world as death toll rises to 26
- WHO: Coronavirus data points to decline in new cases
- China says fewer new cases show efforts to control novel coronavirus COVID-19 working
- Coronavirus: China reports lowest number of new cases since January
London 'virus-free in TWO WEEKS': Just 24 new cases a day are recorded in the capital and it could be eradicated there by June raising hopes lockdown could be eased have 318 words, post on www.dailymail.co.uk at May 15, 2020. This is cached page on IT Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.