ISLAMABAD (AP) — Pakistan’s prime minister said Monday he fears the new coronavirus will devastate the economies of developing nations, and warned richer economies to prepare to write off the debts of the world’s poorer countries. In an interview with The Associated Press, Imran Khan criticized recent comments by the president of neighboring Afghanistan, which appeared to reference accusations that Pakistan used militants to further its own goals in years past. Khan also raised concern over India’s worst Hindu-Muslim violence in decades, saying the Indian prime minister’s Hindu nationalist-led government threatens to disenfranchise hundreds of millions of people through a controversial new citizenship law. He further called for lifting sanctions against Iran, the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak in the Middle East. Khan sat down with the AP at his office in the resplendent white-domed government headquarters in the capital of Islamabad. He’d spent much of his day meeting experts about the effect of the coronavirus outbreak in Pakistan, which has confirmed 183 cases so far. “My worry is poverty and hunger,” Khan said. “The world community has to think of some sort of a debt write-off for countries like us, which are very vulnerable, at least that will help… Read full this story
- PM's new virus rules were light-touch compared to the options he was given
- Amid civilian-military conflict, does Pakistan need a new social contract?
- Asia Today: India reports record 1,133 new virus deaths
- The Latest: Illinois reports more than 2,000 new virus cases
- Asia Today: India has record spike of 95K new virus cases
- Pakistan PM Cites Noam Chomsky, Demands Global Blasphemy Laws at U.N.
- NEW! Generals involved in national security talks
- UK Mayors on 'Warpath', Warn New COVID-19 Clampdown will Turn North into ‘Permanent Open Prison’
- Don't lock Britain down again, plead business chiefs, MPs and medics who warn the economic devastation could last 30 years and bankrupt the nation
- Curfews could be introduced to other parts of country as coronavirus sweeps through Britain, PM warns
Pakistan PM warns new virus may devastate developing nations have 325 words, post on apnews.com at March 17, 2020. This is cached page on IT Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.