JERUSALEM (AP) — Israel swore in its newly elected parliament on Monday under stringent restrictions because of the coronavirus outbreak, in a surreal ceremony reflecting the country’s unprecedented dual crisis in politics and public health. Instead of the typical festive gathering of parliament’s 120, the new lawmakers took the oath of office in groups of three over 40 staggered rounds, in keeping with a Health Ministry ban on gatherings of more than 10 people. Israeli President Reuven Rivlin presided over the unusual event after the Israeli Knesset, or Parliament, was thoroughly sprayed with disinfectant. The president, flanked by the Knesset speaker and secretary, opened the first session of parliament before an empty chamber save for Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and his rival Benny Gantz. They sat several rows apart and made little eye contact, outnumbered by the three trumpeters in the hall who rang in the first session of parliament. Rivlin called for unity and compromise from the two leaders, saying the Israeli people “are in need of rest, we are in need of healing” after three parliamentary elections in under a year. After Netanyahu and Gantz were sworn in, they were ushered out of the hall and the lawmakers… Read full this story
- Israel to swear in new parliament under coronavirus shadow
- New imported coronavirus cases hit record in China's capital
- Coronavirus bill: What are the new emergency coronavirus laws?
- 14 new cases, coronavirus count in India rises to 151
- Read Scott Morrison's full statement on the new national coronavirus restrictions
- Lockdown London: What Are The New UK Coronavirus Guidelines Taking Effect Across the Country?
- Israel parliament speaker shuts Knesset, enraging opposition
- Coronavirus Update: What world’s presidents tell their citizens
- Coronavirus quotes from world’s presidents
Israel swears in new parliament under coronavirus shadow have 279 words, post on apnews.com at March 16, 2020. This is cached page on IT Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.