The NHL trade deadline is later this month (February 24, 3 p.m. ET) so the Pro Hockey Talk crew will be taking a closer look at some individual players that could be on the move. Today we focus on Montreal Canadiens forward Ilya Kovalchuk. Player: Ilya KovalchukCurrent team: Montreal CanadiensPosition: ForwardContract Situation: Unrestricted free agent after this season with a salary cap of just $700,000. Why the Canadiens might trade him: When Kovalchuk and the Kings went their separate ways earlier this season, the Canadiens picked him up for next-to-nothing at a time where they were desperate for healthy forwards that could score. Given how his time with the Kings went expectations were low and there was some legitimate concern as to how much the 36-year-old winger still has left. As it turns out, he does still have something left. The problem is the Canadiens are almost certainly not going to make the playoffs, he is a free agent after this season, and he could bring a return. If the Canadiens can take a mid-season reclamation project and turn it into a second-round pick or something of similar value it would make it all worth it. Kovalchuk has said he isn’t focussed… Read full this story
- NHL Power Rankings: Pastrnak, Marchand carry Bruins to top spot
- Flyers’ Fletcher continues to be the anti-Hextall
- What’s on TV Saturday and Sunday talk shows: ‘Sesame Street’s 50th Anniversary Celebration’ on HBO
- Kings’ Trevor Lewis put on injured reserve because of lower-body injury
- Hart Records First Shutout, Flyers Blank Devils 4-0
- Lindsey Vonn engaged to P.K. Subban: Olympic skier received EMERALD ring as star hockey player got down on one knee at home in front of their three dogs
NHL Trade Deadline primer: Ilya Kovalchuk, Montreal Canadiens have 283 words, post on nhl.nbcsports.com at February 8, 2020. This is cached page on IT Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.