The NHL trade deadline is later this month (February 24, 3 p.m. ET) so the Pro Hockey Talk crew will be taking a closer look at some individual players that could be on the move. Today we focus on Montreal Canadiens forward Ilya Kovalchuk. Player: Ilya KovalchukCurrent team: Montreal CanadiensPosition: ForwardContract Situation: Unrestricted free agent after this season with a salary cap of just $700,000. Why the Canadiens might trade him: When Kovalchuk and the Kings went their separate ways earlier this season, the Canadiens picked him up for next-to-nothing at a time where they were desperate for healthy forwards that could score. Given how his time with the Kings went expectations were low and there was some legitimate concern as to how much the 36-year-old winger still has left. As it turns out, he does still have something left. The problem is the Canadiens are almost certainly not going to make the playoffs, he is a free agent after this season, and he could bring a return. If the Canadiens can take a mid-season reclamation project and turn it into a second-round pick or something of similar value it would make it all worth it. Kovalchuk has said he isn’t focussed… Read full this story
- Which NHL players might be considering retirement?
- NHL odds 2020: Stanley Cup predictions, title picks, teams to avoid from proven handicapper
- Canadian NHL teams, Craig Anderson continue odd pattern
- Column: As we battle virus, don’t forget 1919 Stanley Cup
- NHLPA Players Poll: Connor McDavid, Victor Hedman, Carey Price take home top honors again
- Former Maple Leafs star Tomas Kaberle helping out in wife's restaurant during coronavirus epidemic
- Ovechkin scores 700th career goal, Devils beat Capitals 3-2
- What is the long-term outlook for the Hurricanes?
NHL Trade Deadline primer: Ilya Kovalchuk, Montreal Canadiens have 283 words, post on nhl.nbcsports.com at February 8, 2020. This is cached page on IT Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.