The accusations against the Chinese app TikTok and countless other apps from China are very serious: The programs are alleged to siphon off a wealth of information about their users — data that has nothing to do with the actual function of the app and for whose collection there is no reasonable justification. “With TikTok and the other malware apps, the app is not innocent at first and then happens to get compromised,” says IT security expert Stefan Strobel. “The developer of the app built back doors, spy functions and other things into the app from the outset and took great care to ensure that no one would notice.” Watch video 01:51 US and China spar over TikTok Strobel, the founder and CEO of the IT security company CIROSEC, advises German medium-sized companies on IT security issues. Some of these companies are active in China themselves. And so Strobel has ample experience with Chinese apps. In his view, the popular Chinese apps TikTok and WeChat are only the tip of the iceberg. WeChat is a universal app that combines messaging with payment functions and other social media applications. It is very popular in China. Among IT experts, there is little… Read full this story
- US to ban TikTok, WeChat downloads from Sunday
- Trump to block US downloads of TikTok, WeChat on Sunday
- Trump Administration Announces Bans of TikTok, WeChat
- Officials: Trump to Block US Downloads of TikTok, WeChat on Sunday
- Explainer: How the US could block WeChat and TikTok from Americans
- Biden presses pause on Trump's WeChat and TikTok bans
- US judge will not reverse decision on WeChat app store ban
- US businesses in China face uncertainty as White House bans WeChat
- TikTok Sale to Walmart, Oracle on Hold in US as Biden Administration Reviews Purchase
- Commentary: Will the TikTok saga in the US lead to the break-up of the Internet industry?
TikTok, WeChat & Co: How does spyware get into smartphones? have 301 words, post on www.dw.com at January 27, 2020. This is cached page on IT Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.