TEHRAN, Iran (AP) — Iran’s president warned Wednesday that European soldiers in the Mideast “could be in danger” after three nations challenged Tehran over breaking the limits of its nuclear deal. Tehran’s top diplomat meanwhile acknowledged that Iranians “were lied to” for days following the Islamic Republic’s accidental shootdown of a Ukrainian jetliner that killed 176 people. President Hassan Rouhani’s remarks in a televised Cabinet meeting represent the first direct threat he’s made to Europe as tensions remain high between Tehran and Washington over President Donald Trump withdrawing the U.S. from the deal in May 2018. Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif’s admission, which came at a summit in New Delhi on Wednesday, represents the first time an Iranian official referred to earlier claims from Tehran that a technical malfunction downed the Ukraine International Airlines flight as a lie. The shootdown — and subsequent days of denials that a missile had downed it — sparked days of angry protests in the country. The current tensions between Iran and the U.S. reached fever-pitch two weeks ago with the American drone strike in Baghdad that killed the powerful Revolutionary Guard Gen. Qassem Soleimani. The general had led Iranian proxy forces abroad, including… Read full this story
- Belarus ruler Lukashenko says Russia lying over 'mercenaries'
- US Tapped Abrams as Iran Envoy to Escalate Regime Change Efforts, Former UK, UN Diplomats Say
- Iran Warns Against Politicising Deadly Beirut Blast
- Taiwan's top diplomat says China trying to turn island into 'next Hong Kong'
- Iranian, Ukrainian senior diplomats hold talk on crashed Ukrainian plane
- Iran’s Chief Rabbi Says Jews Safer in Islamic Republic Than They Are in Europe
- Bolton warns Iran that US 'will come after you'
- U.S. Iran envoy Brian Hook stepping down as key U.N. arms embargo vote looms
- US Navy veteran detained in Iran has been released after deal with Tehran
- U.S. pushes ahead with bid to extend Iran arms embargo though support unclear
Iran warns Europe as diplomat says officials ‘lied’ on crash have 319 words, post on apnews.com at January 15, 2020. This is cached page on IT Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.