Seoul and South Korea may well be the secret startup hub that (still) no one talks about. While often dwarfed by the scale and scope of the Chinese startup market next door, South Korea has proven over the last few years that it can — and will — enter the top-tier of startup hubs. Case in point: Baedal Minjok (typically shortened to Baemin), one of the country’s leading food delivery apps, announced an acquisition offer by Berlin-based Delivery Hero in a blockbuster $4 billion transaction late this week, representing potentially one of the largest exits yet for the Korean startup world. The transaction faces antitrust review before closing, since Delivery Hero owns Baemin’s largest competitor Yogiyo, and therefore is conditional on regulatory approval. Delivery Hero bought a majority stake in Yogiyo way back in 2014. Delivery Hero Takes Majority Stake In Its Big Rival In Korea, Baedaltong What’s been dazzling though is to have witnessed the growth of this hub over the past decade. As TechCrunch’s former foreign correspondent in Seoul five years ago and a university researcher locally at KAIST eight years ago, I’ve been watching the growth of this hub locally and from afar for years now. While… Read full this story
- Diet Food Delivery Service at Your Doorstep
- Diet Food Delivery? Yes, it Exists!
- Food Delivery Problem Solved
- Judge stops deportation of NYC food delivery person detained by ICE [UPDATED]
- MeitY builds a startup hub for stakeholders
- Our favorite baby food delivery subscription services
- Zone Diet Food Delivery
- 'This is atrocious!' Guy Sebastian goes on a rant against Uber Eats after the food delivery service kept cancelling his orders from Chargrill Charlie's
- 2 food delivery drivers robbed at gunpoint in West Chester
- Zomato ropes in Toyota for its food carnival Zomaland
With $4B food delivery acquisition, Korea poised to enter upper tier of startup hubs have 301 words, post on techcrunch.com at December 15, 2019. This is cached page on IT Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.