This doesn’t mean that Windows phones will not work but they won’t receive system-based software updates anymore. Even though Microsoft has ended the OS updates, it will not end support for the Office apps — including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and OneNote — on the smartphones running on Windows 10 Mobile OS for another year till January 12, 2021.
In an FAQ, Microsoft explained, “After the end of support, automatic or manual creation of new device backups for settings and some applications will continue for 3 months, ending March 10, 2020. Some services including photo uploads and restoring a device from an existing device backup may continue to work for up to another 12 months from end of support.”
Despite this, Microsoft says that its Store may continue to work after the end of support date as apps are governed by the Modern Lifecycle policy and are independent of the OS Lifecycle policy. But, it also clearly states that app developers — including Microsoft — may end support for an app at any time.
Suggesting what the users Windows 10 Mobile should do now, Microsoft said, “With the Windows 10 Mobile OS end of support, we recommend that customers move to a supported Android or iOS device. Microsoft’s mission statement to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more, compels us to support our Mobile apps on those platforms and devices.”
- Microsoft’s Defender antivirus software coming to Mac
- Microsoft answers age-old question about removing USB storage devices from a PC
- Google warns users to immediately update Chrome browser after critical bug discovered
- Google Chrome users urged to update browser amid security alert
- Backdoor vulnerability in Microsoft Windows operating system found by Kaspersky Lab
- Windows 7 support ends next year
- Apple event: iPhone maker launches new credit card and TV streaming service
- Apple event: iPhone maker launches new credit card and TV streaming service to rival Netflix and Amazon
- MateBook 13 review: An great value ultrabook that rivals Apple's MacBook Air
- Bitdefender: Romania, the most vulnerable country in the word to new cyber attack that steals users' banking data