Emma Watson has gushed about the reception she’s received for declaring she was “self-partnered.”
The actress, 29, coined the phrase in an interview with Vogue earlier this year as a way to describe focusing on herself rather than needing to be in a relationship to make herself happy.
Speaking on how the new term has taken off, the soon to be 30-year-old has told how she was “happy” that it had “empowered” people and how she was surprised that the “throwaway comment” gained so much attention.
“I’m so happy people feel empowered,” she told E!’s The Rundown on Snapchat, “I literally said it as a throwaway comment thinking it would go no further.
“And then I woke up the next morning and my phone’s blowing up and I don’t know why and it’s all my friends messaging me being like, ‘self-partnered?’ This thing’s gone crazy.”
“It’s much more about your relationship with yourself and the feeling of not somehow being deficient in some way because you’re not with someone,” she reflected.
It comes after Emma explained to the high-end fashion publication that she’s not worried about finding a man right now as she’s perfectly content being partnered with herself.
She said: “I was like, ‘Why does everyone make such a big fuss about turning 30?’ This is not a big deal”.
“Cut to 29, and I’m like, ‘Oh my God, I feel so stressed and anxious’.
“And I realise it’s because there is suddenly this bloody influx of subliminal messaging around.
“If you have not built a home, if you do not have a husband, if you do not have a baby, and you are turning 30, and you’re not in some incredibly secure, stable place in your career, or ‘I felt so stressed’ you’re still figuring things out…
“There’s just this incredible amount of anxiety.
“I never believed the whole ‘I’m happy single’ spiel. I was like, ‘This is totally spiel’. It took me a long time, but I’m very happy [being single]. I call it being self-partnered.”
Her last boyfriend is said to have been Dominic Piazza after the pair were seen together in Los Angeles several times in August.
She’s also said to have dated former Oculus chief executive Brendan Iribe, 40, and her former Potter co-star Tom Felton.
Last year, she romanced actor Chord Overstreet for six months.
Do you have a story to sell? Get in touch with us at [email protected] or call us direct 0207 29 33033
- What is the NXIVM ‘sex cult’, do they brand female followers and did the cult try to recruit Emma Watson?
- Who is Chord Overstreet, when did he split from Emma Watson and who did he play in Glee?
- Emma Watson channels Melania Trump in a Ralph Lauren trouser suit at Wimbledon
- Emma Watson 'splits from boyfriend Chord Overstreet'
- Who’s in the Wimbledon 2018 royal box today? Meghan Markle, Kate Middleton and Emma Watson watch Nadal vs Djokovic
- 'Smallville' Star Allison Mack Tried to Recruit Emma Watson For Sex Cult
- Suffolk handbag-maker whose customers include Emma Watson, Keira Knightley and Dame Judi Dench now looking to Asia
- ‘Baby bangs’ are the latest hair trend but we’re not sure we’re on board… sorry Emma Watson
- Emma Watson channels Melania Trump in a sharp white trouser suit at Wimbledon
- New programme aims to empower people with disabilities