By AFP More by this Author NAIROBI,South Sudan’s president and its armed opposition leader have missed another 100-day deadline to form a power-sharing government, threatening a tenuous ceasefire that has paused years of bloodshed in the world’s youngest country.The warring camps were given another extension to join forces after a meeting brokered by regional leaders but whether another delay will bring peace remains to be seen.It’s not the first time President Salva Kiir and Riek Machar, his former deputy, have faltered on a peace agreement since a power struggle between the two threw the country into war in 2013.Ceasefires failed, truces collapsed and the war raged on, killing hundreds of thousands and displacing millions more.The latest pact, signed in September 2018, brought a rare lull to fighting in parts of the country. But progress toward a more permanent peace has been glacial. Related Stories Igad council endorses S. Sudan unity govt delay Igad agrees to delay formation of S Sudan unity govt Kalonzo meets Kiir, Machar in Uganda S.Sudan parties fault unity govt deadline Advertisement DEADLOCKKiir and Machar agreed to share power in a new unity government by May 2019 but could not break a deadlock over security arrangements and… Read full this story
- South Sudan is on the verge of civil war, again. Who will save it?
- Peace will continue to elude South Sudan as long as its women's rights and safety continue to be ignored and abused.
- The U.N. says South Sudan's army may be guilty of war crimes
- South Sudan's children are increasingly going to war, warns UNICEF
- How Riek Machar's continued absence could destabilize South Sudan
- Amnesty International: South Sudan Facing 'New Wave of Repression'
- Should South Sudan's Riek Machar get his old job back?
- In Opinion: Here's how South Sudan's suspected rapists could be brought to justice
- South Sudan's Riek Machar is recuperating after "urgent medical attention"
- Thousands of extra peacekeepers are going to South Sudan
Will South Sudan finally be able to clinch lasting peace in 100 days? have 323 words, post on www.nation.co.ke at November 13, 2019. This is cached page on IT Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.