Comedian Sacha Baron Cohen has waded into the debate about social media regulation. In an award-acceptance speech to the Anti Defamation League yesterday the creator of Ali G and Borat delivered a precision takedown of what he called Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg’s “bullshit” arguments against regulating his platform. The speech is well worth watching in full as Cohen articulates, with a comic’s truth-telling clarity, the problem with “the greatest propaganda machine in history” (aka social media platform giants) and how to fix it: Broadcast-style regulation that sets basic standards and practices of what content isn’t acceptable for them to amplify to billions. “There is such a thing as objective truth,” said Cohen. “Facts do exist. And if these Internet companies really want to make a difference they should hire enough monitors to actually monitor, work closely with groups like the ADL and the NAACP, insist on facts and purge these lies and conspiracies from their platforms.” Attacking social media platforms for promulgating “a sewer of bigotry and vile conspiracy theories that threaten our democracy and to some degree our planet”, he pointed out that freedom of speech is not the same as freedom of reach. “This can’t possibly be what… Read full this story
- The Bush Hate Speech Needs to Stop!
- Persnickety Fringe and President Bush Hate Speech Serves No Purpose
- Dark Days For Freedom of Speech in Canada
- How to Shop For Ladies Designer Watches Successfully
- Sign Language & Speech Therapy
- Using Rebounding to Enhance Speech Therapy
- TV on PC - Where Can I Watch TV Shows On The Web
- The Hunt For Authentic Breitling Watches - How to Spot Authentic Breitling Watches
- They Never Said It - Fake Quotes, Misquotes, and Urban Myths
- Sasha Cohen 2010?
Watch Sacha Baron Cohen skewer Zuckerberg’s “twisted logic” on hate speech and fakes have 295 words, post on techcrunch.com at November 22, 2019. This is cached page on IT Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.