Toshiba reported a much stronger-than-expected operating profit of 44.23 billion yen ($405.41 million) for the second quarter ended September, up from 6.25 billion yen a year prior, as it cut costs and reined in low-margin infrastructure projects.
That compared with a 25.97 billion yen average of 4 analyst estimates compiled by Refinitiv.
Toshiba maintained its profit forecast for the year ending March at 140 billion yen, versus 35.4 billion yen a year earlier, in line with the target the company set in its five-year plan.
The company also said it would launch tender offers for plant engineering firm Toshiba Plant Systems & Services , marine electrical systems maker Nishishiba Electric , chip-making equipment maker NuFlare Technology to convert them into wholly owned units.
The move comes as some activist shareholders have pushed for more action to overhaul its sprawling asset portfolio.
The Japanese government has also pointed out potential conflicts of interest between publicly traded parent companies and their listed subsidiaries and set corporate governance guidelines for those companies.
Toshiba has shifted its focus to profits from scale since massive accounting scandals that eventually led to the bankruptcy of U.S. nuclear power unit Westinghouse and the sale of its prized memory chip unit.
It has also overhauled its board to hike the number of external directors and include non-Japanese directors for the first time in 80 years, bowing to pressure from activist investors.
Its five-year plan aims for 8-10% operating profit margin for the year ending in March 2024 by focusing on energy, social infrastructure and service businesses.
- Bonal International Reports Fourteenth Consecutive Profitable Year and Thirteenth consecutive year issuing dividends
- Is the end of the month really the best time to buy a car?
- Which Is the Best Phone to Buy During Flipkart, Amazon Sales?
- VAR shortcomings laid bare in Tottenham's defeat. Plus: Another wasted year for Man United?
- Huawei 8K TV With Integrated 5G to Reportedly Launch This Year
- Ball sea cucumber added to China’s weird buying list in Vietnam
- NBK reports net profit of KD 185.9 mln for H1 2018
- The Best Places To Buy Old Games
- Report: Best places to retire are not as far as you might think
- Best places to buy contact lenses online in 2019