The father of British Prime Minister Boris Johnson has joined climate protesters in London, after his son urged the demonstrators to pack up their “hemp-smelling” tents and leave.
Stanley Johnson told Extinction Rebellion demonstrators that they had “exactly the right things in mind” with their demand to slash carbon emissions to zero. He also said the eco-movement was “tremendously important. … It is absolutely clear to me that we have been moving far too slowly on the climate change issue.”
More than 500 people have been arrested in London since protesters began blocking roads and bridges on Monday, part of a global wave of protests that have also hit New York, Paris, Berlin and Madrid.
Boris Johnson called the protesters “uncooperative crusties” who should abandon their “hemp-smelling bivouacs.”
Stanley Johnson said: “I wear that badge with pride.”
Thank you for reading the Dayton Daily News and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.
Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Dayton Daily News. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.
- Delingpole: Boris Johnson and Donald Trump Have Made Christmas Great Again
- Watch: Boris Johnson Mixes Up Baking Shows and Brexit in Christmas Viral Vid
- Boris Johnson plans to shift government jobs and money into deprived regions in the North and Midlands to spark an economic revival as he seeks to cement Tory support in Blue Wall' seats he took from Labour
- Boris Johnson to Boost Spending in the North and Midlands over London
- The cattle class Prime Minister: 'Low profile' Boris Johnson and girlfriend Carrie Symonds save the taxpayer tens of thousands by flying economy on £1,300 British Airways tickets to their Caribbean New Year break
- Socialist Corbyn Says Labour Is the ‘Resistance’ to Boris Johnson
- Boris Johnson pledges 50,000 more NHS nurses, a five-year tax freeze and to 'get Brexit done' in 'sensible and moderate' Tory manifesto that promises 'a new chapter for Britain'... as Labour panic splurges ANOTHER £58BILLION of public spending
- Boris Johnson -- blond, bouffant and boorish
- Prime Minister's island paradise revealed: How Boris Johnson and Carrie Symonds are on Mustique for New Year in a £40,000-a-week villa (with four pools) as guests of one of society's most colourful families
- Boris Johnson will spend Christmas at No10 with girlfriend Carrie Symonds and dog Dilyn - but will the PM get the new bike he wants on December 25?