Apple’s normal resting state is to be superlative. It’s the planet’s most valuable company (most of the time). It created history’s most successful product, some argue. Apple CEO Tim Cook said Apple TV Plus would be “unlike anything that’s been done before.” And maybe he’s right — but not in the way he meant. As Apple takes the stage as a streaming-video company this week, it’s inhabiting a role it doesn’t play often: Smaller. Cheaper. Meh? Apple TV Plus, launching Friday, is the gadget giant’s subscription video service with original TV shows and movies for $5 a month. It’s Apple’s combatant in the so-called streaming wars, one of a crop of deep-pocketed tech and media companies pouring money into creating subscription video services to take on Netflix. With more than 150 million global subscribers, Netflix dominates streaming. Now, upstart competitors like Disney Plus, HBO Max and Apple TV Plus are throwing billions of dollars into prestige TV to launch their streaming services too. The so-called streaming wars are kicking off at a time when Apple is looking to its services — iCloud, Apple Music, Apple Arcade and, yes, Apple TV Plus, for more of its growth. The company on Wednesday reported stronger profits propelled… Read full this story
- Apple TV service coming? Time Warner's CEO is betting on it
- We talk about all the iPhone 6S, iPad Pro and Apple TV announcements (Apple Byte Extra Crunchy Podcast Ep. 9)
- What is Apple Clips? Plus we teach you how to use it
- No Apple TV set until 2014, says analyst: What's next for Apple?
- Roku Streaming Stick Plus with 4K for $70 leads five-player team
- Best Black Friday deals for cord-cutters: Roku, Fire TV and more
- 26 Apple TV tips you'll thank us for
- Amazon Fire TV drops price on 4K HDR streaming to $70
- Get a 49-inch Roku TV for $279.99
- Roku TVs link to streaming shows from live antenna TV guide
Apple TV Plus puts Apple in an unfamiliar underdog role have 319 words, post on www.cnet.com at October 31, 2019. This is cached page on IT Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.