NEW YORK (AP) — Runway met Broadway when The Blonds took to the stage of the splashy musical “Moulin Rouge.”
With the help of Billy Porter, who performed two songs, the ever-theatrical design duo stuck to the musical’s theme, focused on a cabaret, and stayed true to their risque style Monday for the New York Fashion Week show.
After an opening number by performers from “Moulin Rouge,” Phillipe Blond descended from the ceiling in a bedazzled jumpsuit, matching moto jacket and long, blond locks. They dressed models in corsets, bustier tops, lace catsuits (worn by men and women alike) and stiletto boots that hit at the ankle, knee or thigh.
There was no absence of sparkle on the stage, from Jordan Roth’s beaded, sparkling leopard print cape to Paris Hilton’s nude bodysuit adorned with crystals. The designers, including David Blond, ended the show by dancing with their models and embracing each other before walking off stage.
Some models, including Hilton, wore elaborate bejeweled head pieces that towered high and had to be sewn into their hair. Porter got one, too.
Model Halima Aden was adorned in animal print, in her jacket, pants and head wrap. There was an abundance of sexy red and black in lace for the high-camp show.
Celebrities who attended included Dascha Polanco, Asia Kate Dillon and Martha Stewart. Guests embraced the theme. Polanco posed for photos before the show wearing a gold and jewel-studded headpiece with an equally blinged-out leotard.
- Paris Hilton brings out her inner showgirl in sizzling one-piece while OITNB beauty Dascha Polanco wows in feathers and chains during The Blonds X Moulin Rouge! NYFW show
- 'It blew my mind!' Nicole Kidman gushes over Moulin Rouge on Broadway as she poses backstage with the cast... 18 years after she starred in the film version
- Nicole Kidman heads to Broadway to visit the cast of Moulin Rouge The Musical... 18 years after film version earned her an Oscar nomination
- Life's a ball! Celebrating Moulin Rouge at 130
- Moulin Rouge! The Musical is coming to London but it will have MAJOR difference from film
- Baz Luhrmann's Moulin Rouge is heading to Australia for a stage adaptation - but Sydney misses out
- 'How wonderful life is!' Nicole Kidman and Keith Urban put on an affectionate display as they leave Moulin Rouge stage show in New York
- BAZ BAMIGBOYE: Moulin is coming to town as Baz Luhrmann's iconic film hits the stage in London show starring Karen Olivo and Aaron Tveit
- 'I take none of it for granted': Nicole Kidman gushes about husband Keith Urban and says he helps 'boost her esteem' when she needs it
- Elsa McAlonan's Beauty Upgrades: How to revive blonde hair