Does the above picture of a lotus seed pod freak you out? If so, there’s a chance you suffer from the phobia “trypophobia,” the fear of small holes in certain configurations.
You know what else apparently could trigger your trypophobia? The new iPhone 11 Pro and Pro Plus with its cluster of three lenses. And according to the doctor who published the first study of the phobia in 2013, that’s totally plausible.
Metro newspaper. “The camera has the critical features necessary to cause a response because it’s made up of a cluster of holes. Anything can induce trypophobia, as long as it has this pattern.It could be anything from aerated chocolate, lotus seed pods or even the brake lights on a Peugeot 206.”
told Metro, while the mathematical pattern of the iPhone 11 lenses matches up to requirements, not every trypophobia sufferer is going to be spooked in equal measure. “I think everyone is a bit sensitive,” he said.
He does stand by it being an actual fear, though. “There is a lot of skepticism and people say it’s just a successful internet meme, rather than a real phobia. People look at it as a bit of a joke and think people caught trypophobia through a meme. But that’s the same for most phobias. People are not born fearful of rats, spiders or cockroaches, but might see their mother or father’s fear whilst they are a developing child and effectively catch the phobia.”
“Take cockroaches, for instance. Many people who are scared of them have not had a bad experience. They’ve picked it up from society and weren’t born to dislike them. If trypophobia is a good internet meme – then the fear of cockroaches is a good society meme.”
Well, I’m guessing that puts paid to Apple’s plans for a cockroach case for next year’s iPhone.
- Trypophobia alert: iPhone 11 Pro allegedly triggers weird fear
- How to get an iPhone 11 or iPhone 11 Pro on launch day
- Galaxy Note 10+ vs. iPhone 11 Pro Max: Which should you buy?
- Samsung Galaxy S10+ vs. iPhone 11 Pro: Which should you buy?
- Apple iPhone 11, Pro Demand: Analyst Predicts 75M Unit Sales
- Should iPhone XS Users Upgrade To iPhone 11 Pro?
- iPhone 11 and iPhone 11 Pro: Key settings you need to change
- iPhone 11 Pro Max Beats Samsung, Huawei In Battery Life Test
- iPhone 11 Pro Max versus its Android competitors