Democratic presidential candidates addressed a forum dedicated to lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender issues in Iowa on Friday evening. During the event, former Vice President Joe Biden engaged in a tense exchange with a female moderator over his record on supporting gay rights. Biden was challenged by moderator Lyz Lenz, a Cedar Rapids Gazette columnist, about his support for the Defense of Marriage Act and Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell as a senator. Lenz also questioned Biden about his comment that Vice President Mike Pence, who has a history of supporting anti-LGBTQ rights policies as governor of Indiana, was a “decent guy.”Biden pointed out that he came out in support of same-sex marriage before former President Barack Obama in 2012. Biden, seemingly sarcastically, called Lenz a “lovely person.” After their exchange, Lenz wrote on Twitter that Biden called her a “real sweetheart,” which she took as condescending.The forum came as Senator Kamala Harris is doubling down on her efforts in Iowa. While Harris has been slipping in the polls, she has announced her determination to finish in the top three in the Iowa caucus. “I’m moving here,” Harris has joked. She has also said: “It can be frustrating, frankly, to have… Read full this story
- Will Joe Biden's political record come back to haunt him?
- Joe Biden prevails in nomination fight with electability argument
- 5 Ways Joe Biden Can Make His Bad Podcast Better
- Biden surges higher with Klobuchar, Buttigieg endorsements
- The Bernie Sanders campaign may be over but the disagreements over Joe Biden remain
- Iowa’s Garza enters draft, keeps college eligibility for now
- Hundreds gather for Iowa horse auction, defying guidelines
- Iowa governor candidates begin bus tours with 2 weeks left
- Iowa governor wants focus on individual, not state, response
- Iowa’s Spencer Lee wins Hodge Trophy after dominant season
Biden defends LGBTQ record at Iowa forum have 308 words, post on www.cbsnews.com at September 21, 2019. This is cached page on IT Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.