Video PlayerClose Tradition, travel and trade: What can these #Xinjiang tales tell us about this far western region of China? by Xinhua writers Xue Yanwen, Gu Yu and Pan Ying URUMQI, Aug. 17 (Xinhua) — In Yongxin, a village administered by Urumqi around 30-km away, a gigantic monument shoots up into the sky — this is the geographical center of the Asian continent. While tourists pose for photographs under the landmark, potato farmer Chen Gong, 70, explains that he has never left the outer limits of Urumqi. “I am Urumqi born and bred. I’ve never been to the coast. If I had the chance, I’d love to see the sea,” he says. People visit the monument of the geographical center of the Asian continent in Yongxin Village of Urumqi, northwest China’s Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region, July 12, 2019. (Xinhua/Zhao Ge) The Pole of Inaccessibility, the farthest point on land from the coastline, is in China’s far west region of Xinjiang. But it is far from inaccessible. In fact, it is Xinjiang’s unique position on the Silk Road — ancient and modern — that puts it on the map. For centuries, the ringing bells of camel caravans carrying merchants and tourists… Read full this story
- China's 'New Silk Road' goes straight through the Caucasus
- BRI Express: China, Belgium Sign Pact to Connect via Diamond Silk Road Railway
- Xinhua Headlines: China unveils development plan for Guangdong-Hong Kong-Macao Greater Bay Area
- Reviving the old silk road
- Silk Road Strategy: China Boosting Railways to Diversify Transit Lines
- Xinhua Headlines: China's manufacturing firms breaking out of trade woes
- Xinhua Headlines: Belt & Road flies high with air wings
- Moscow-Beijing Fund Could Contribute to Development of Russian Far East
- China's Belt and Road Forum shows Xi Jinping's 'genius marketing ploy' has become 'project of the century'
- Amid high expectation, Belt and Road Initiative brings more win-win results to Europe
Xinhua Headlines: Xinjiang: Far west region, heart of Silk Road have 301 words, post on www.xinhuanet.com at August 17, 2019. This is cached page on IT Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.