The bodies of a man and woman who died 4,000 years ago have been found buried face-to-face in a grave in Kazakhstan.
Archaeologists discovered the burial in an ancient cemetery that has remains of humans and horses, Kazakhstan archaeologists said in a Kazakh-language statement. The man and woman were buried with a variety of grave goods that includes jewelry (some of which is gold), knives, ceramics and beads. The remains of horses were also found near the burial.
While some media reports claim that the archaeologists also found the burial of a priestess nearby, the archaeologists made no mention of this in their statement. While the statement says that the pair is “young” it doesn’t give an age range. [See Photos of the Kazakhstan Cemetery and Burial]
It’s not clear what killed the man and woman or their exact relationship to each other, including whether they were romantically involved.
The rich burial goods suggest that the man and woman came from wealthy families, archaeologists said in their statement. Archaeological remains found at other sites in Kazakhstan suggest that the pair lived at a time when fighting and conflicts occurred frequently in the region, archaeologists also said.
Excavation of the cemetery and analysis of the remains are ongoing. The archaeological team is led by Igor Kukushkin, an archaeology professor at Saryarka Archaeological Institute at Karaganda State University in Kazakhstan. Live Science was unable to reach Kukushkin at the time this story was published.
Numerous archaeological remains have been uncovered in Kazakhstan. In 2016, a team led by Kukushkin found the remains of a 3,000-year-old, pyramid-shaped mausoleum. In 2014, a different team of archaeologists identified 50 geoglyphs with various shapes and sizes, including a massive swastika, that appear to date as far back as 2,800 years.
- In Photos: Google Earth Reveals Sprawling Geoglyphs in Kazakhstan
- In Photos: Massive Stone Complex Discovered in Kazakhstan
- Photos: Ancient Burial of Elite Members of Nomadic Tribe
Originally published on Live Science.
- Dramatic video shows the moment a 59-year-old man is pulled from rushing waters by rescuers after he was spotted clinging to a log less than 100 yards from the brink of Niagara Falls
- Young man stabbed in east London fights for life in latest sickening knife attack in the capital
- PICTURED: Woman who climbed into a lion's den at the Bronx Zoo leaves court after her criminal trespass arrest and poses up a storm in an NYPD T-shirt, cutoff shorts and white fishnets
- Pak woman yells at Priyanka Chopra for her Jai Hind tweet and calls her ‘hypocrite’, the actor’s response is grace itself. Watch video
- Georgie Gardner puts on a brave face as she enjoys a drink with friends and family in Sydney's Mosman... after being axed from the Today show
- Spanish voters go to the polls for the fourth general election in as many years amid heightened tensions over Catalan separatist movement
- ‘Pocket money boy’ paid £60 a week to stop him committing crime as a teenager 20 years ago admits the latest in a long line of offences
- Anna, a young woman seeking love and Allah
- Teenager dubbed 'Pocket Money Boy' who was paid £60 a week by social services to stay out of trouble 20 years ago is STILL offending
- Watch As Man Drives SUV Through Chicago-Area Mall