Selling smartphones is turning into a tricky business now. A report by research company Gartner published earlier this month predicts smartphone sales will decline 2.5 per cent this year, with the high-end market getting particular tough thanks to high prices and no compelling new experiences to justify an upgrade.
So where does that leave our favourite smartphone makers? They turn to other tech products, like Chinese company OnePlus. After confirming it was going to be working on a smart TV last September, we finally have more evidence about a new product called the OnePlus TV.
A community representative confirmed the new name over on the OnePlus forums saying that this name remains true to the brand’s core values of “burdenless design” and its “Never Settle” spirit.
“This is our OnePlus way to show the world that it is our first step to explore the endless possibilities in a boarder spectrum,” they said.
According to filings around the product, it looks like the OnePlus TV will have LED panels sized between 43 and 75 inches, and will run Android. The new TV is likely to arrive in September – a busy month for tech launches what with Apple’s new products expected and maybe a new Huawei smartphone.
Smart TVs seem to be the next logical step for tech companies wanting to expand beyond smartphones. Huawei’s sub-brand Honor unveiled its first smart TV last week, named Honor Vision, which will run the company’s own-brand operating system, called HarmonyOS. It’s not just going to run like a traditional TV, though, but more like a smart screen such as the Google Home Hub, except in a much larger device.
The 55-inch display offers 4K and HDR playback and even includes a built-in AI-enabled pop-up camera that has facial recognition and posture detection. It’s unlikely this device will come to Europe though, with Huawei saying it is going to focus its efforts with the new HarmonyOS in the Chinese market first.
Subscribe to Women Tech Charge, a new podcast from the Evening Standard.
From fashion to finance, technology is revolutionising our lives. Meet the extraordinary women who are leading the charge.
- Want a Healthy Way to Lose Weight? Turn Off the TV!
- Advertising For Law Firms - 8 Ways to Attract More Clients and Make More Money!
- Under Rs 15,000: Smart TV options that won't hurt your pocket
- Caring For Your Tattoo - A Smart and Easy Way of Healing
- PPC Campaigns - A Smart and Efficient Way to Increase Traffic, Lead and Conversion
- How to Save Your Marriage Alone? 4 Smart & High Impact Ways For Saving a Marriage When You're Alone
- How to Get Your Ex Back the Smart and Easy Way - You Will Not Look Like a Fool After These Tactics
- Affiliate Marketing Secrets - How to Do the Forum Marketing the Smart and Ethical Way
- Article Marketing - Smart and Free Way to Generate Traffic
- Simple, Smart, and Sure Ways to Buy the Right Green Laser Pointer