A group of concerned Lemon Grove residents are trying to help dig the city out of a deep financial hole.Former Lemon Grove City Councilman George Gastil and five other residents are the drivers behind a citizen-led effort to put a three-quarter-cent sales tax measure on the March 2020 election ballot.“Vote Yes for the Lemon Grove Tax” has publicly noticed its intent and filed for the inclusion of the initiative with the Political Reform Division within the Secretary of State’s office.“Vote Yes” estimates that a new sales tax would generate about $3 million annually in new revenue for the city’s General Fund. The group’s public notice says the money could be used for all allowable purposes, including public safety, recreation services and homeless services. “If people want the fire department and the sheriff’s department to be able to help them when they need it, we have to find a way to pay because that’s where most of the city’s revenue goes,” Gastil said. “If people want programs at the rec center and to keep the parks clean, these things cost money.”Lemon Grove right now has one of the lowest sales tax rates in the county at 7.75 percent, along with Santee…. Read full this story
- Supporters, opponents spread word ahead of Saturday's vote on 1-cent sales tax renewal for education
- 5 New Lemon Grove Area Homes For Sale
- Ozzy Osbourne, Dear Evan Hansen & More Coming To Lemon Grove Area
- Revanth sees sales tax scam behind liquor price hike
- Income Tax dept raids ex-Karnataka dy CM's residence, others in tax evasion probe
- How Long It Takes to Get to Work in Every Major City and What That Means for Your Stress Level
- What would a smog-free city look like?
- Court: Sending part of car tax to new board unconstitutional
- Bachelorettes, Bibles and Amazon: is Nashville the perfect model for a second-tier city?
- Reach out, raise money or remove: how should cities deal with street begging?
Lemon Grove residents working on sales tax measure for city have 335 words, post on www.sandiegouniontribune.com at August 7, 2019. This is cached page on IT Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.