WASHINGTON — The U.S. Army’s Special Operations Command has released the names of the two Green Berets who were killed Wednesday during combat operations in Afghanistan.
Master Sgt. Luis F. Deleon-Figueroa, 31, and Master Sgt. Jose J. Gonzalez, 35, died as a result of small arms fire in northern Faryab Province. Both were members of 7th Special Forces Group, based at Eglin Air Force Base in Florida.
Deleon-Figueroa is from Chicopee, Massachusetts, and served in the Army for more than 13 years. He became a Green Beret in 2014, and deployed twice to Afghanistan and twice to South America.
Gonzalez, a native of La Puente, California, joined 7th Group in 2014. He was posthumously promoted to Master Sergeant. His family requested that no photo or additional information be released.
- 2 Green Berets killed in combat in Afghanistan identified
- Two U.S. Service Members Killed in Insider Attack in Afghanistan
- David Koch, Billionaire Conservative Donor, Dies at 79
- Dog Suffering from Painful Condition Abandoned in Hamden
- 83-Year-Old Southington Man Reported Missing
- Police to Provide Update on Case of Missing Meriden Mom
- Body Found in Waterbury Was Missing Meriden Mom: Police
- Hartford Police Arrest Suspect in Capitol Avenue Shooting