A house caught fire Wednesday afternoon in Lemon Grove, sending a column of dark smoke into the air above East County, officials and witnesses said.
The blaze was reported about 3:50 p.m. at a single-story home on Dupont Drive near Dayton Drive, Heartland Fire & Rescue spokesman Sonny Saghera said. The home is about a block from Monterey Heights Elementary School and several baseball fields used by Lemon Grove Little League.
Fire crews arrived at the home to find heavy smoke and flames, Saghera said.
A San Diego sheriff’s watch commander said deputies closed off Dupont Drive and evacuated surrounding houses. He said there were no initial reports of injuries.
This is a breaking news story that will be updated as more information becomes available.
- Firefighters battle 7th Ward house fire
- Firefighters battle two-alarm house fire in Winthrop
- Photos: Firefighters battle Rotterdam fire; save cat
- Close to 100 firefighters battled Syracuse blaze in stifling heat, gusting winds
- Neighbors say they rescued people from Elk Grove house fire
- Norwalk firefighters battled blaze
- 700 firefighters battle massive wildfire that forced hundreds of evacuations in Portugal
- Hackensack firefighters battle second Main Street blaze
- Rain brings relief to firefighters battling Nevada blaze
- Evacuations in place, some roads closed as firefighters battle 1,200-acre Charlie fire near Castaic and Santa Clarita