FILE – This undated file photo provided by the Montana Department of Corrections shows Curt James Brockway. Montana authorities have charged Brockway with assault on a minor after a witness said he threw a 13-year-old boy to the ground because the boy didn’t remove his hat during the national anthem at a rodeo. Brockway’s attorney says his client believes he was acting on an order from President Donald Trump. (Montana Department of Corrections via AP, File) lessFILE – This undated file photo provided by the Montana Department of Corrections shows Curt James Brockway. Montana authorities have charged Brockway with assault on a minor after a witness said he threw a … more
SUPERIOR, Mont. (AP) — An Army veteran pleaded not guilty to assaulting a 13-year-old boy who the suspect said refused to remove his hat during the national anthem at a rodeo in Montana.
Attorney Lance Jasper has told the Missoulian that defendant Curt Brockway, a 39-year-old veteran with a traumatic brain injury from an automobile crash, believed he was doing what President Donald Trump wanted him to do.
Brockway told investigators the boy cursed at him when he asked him to remove his hat.
Witnesses have said Brockway picked the boy up by his neck and slammed him to the ground. Court records say the boy suffered a skull fracture.
Brockway, of Superior, Montana, entered his plea Wednesday in the Aug. 3 encounter.
He remains free without bond. His next hearing is Oct. 23.
- Jeremiah Isezaki expected to plead guilty for assaulting cop
- ‘Obsessive and possessive’ student pleads guilty to assault of former girlfriend
- Ex Celtic FC kitman pleads guilty to sexually abusing youth
- Man pleads guilty over deadly Florida airport shooting
- MPs launch inquiry into protecting British Army veterans from Troubles prosecutions
- Army veteran protests pose political challenge for Chinese president
- Hungarian man pleads guilty over crash that left girlfriend in wheelchair
- Northern Ireland Water pleads guilty to river pollution charge
- Ant McPartlin fined £86,000 and banned after pleading guilty to drink-driving
- 'Deadliest Catch' star Edgar Hansen pleads guilty to sexually assaulting teen, avoids jail