Alicia Rancilio Associated Press
Published 1:15 PM EDT Jun 20, 2019
New York – Keri Russell says that when J.J. Abrams sent her his version of the script for “Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker,” it overwhelmed her.
“When I read his script that he wrote I cried,” she told The Associated Press in a recent interview. “I mean who knows what it will turn out to be and I hope it remains true to what he originally wanted.”
Abrams directs the film which is the final chapter in the Skywalker story that started with 1977’s “Star Wars.”
Russell says Abrams is the right person to finish the saga because he cares.
“He’s not trying to change it to be something else,” she said. “He really respects what it is.”
Russell plays a new character named Zorri Bliss in the film. She can’t reveal much about the character except that she loves the costume. She calls the character and her look “bad ass.”
She recalled Abrams told her she would need to wear a helmet. “I was like, ‘That is my dream job. I can see everyone. No one can see me. Hello. Amazing!’”
Russell said the original “Star Wars” films are among the first she saw in theaters, so it’s amazing to be part of them now. “I have such memories of Princess Leia and Chewbacca and Han Solo, I have such memories of them– like everyone does,” she said. “So, yes, it’s incredible to get to be whatever part I am.”
Russell and Abrams have a creative history because he co-created her series “Felicity,” for which she won a Golden Globe. She also had a small role in “Mission: Impossible III,” which he directed.
“Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker” opens in December.
- Ewan McGregor admits 'it was embarrassing lying' about his new Star Wars series for four years
- From Winterfell to a galaxy far, far away! Game Of Thrones creators to write and produce new Star Wars film series
- Don't Expect New 'Star Wars' Movies After 'Episode IX'
- All the Amazing New Star Wars Toys From Toy Fair
- Star Wars bombshell: Game of Thrones creators QUIT new Star Wars trilogy
- 22 Fantastic New Star Wars Characters (Who Weren't In The Force Awakens)
- ‘Farmville’ maker Zynga partners with Disney on new Star Wars mobile game
- Disney: 3 New 'Star Wars' Movies Are Coming to the Big Screen
- Mattel's New Star Wars Barbies Are Amazingly Extra
- We’re definitely still getting a new Star Wars trilogy from the director of The Last Jedi