NEW YORK — A Babe Ruth road jersey dating to 1928-30 has sold at auction for $5.64 million.
Hunt Auctions, which handled Saturday’s sale, says the price breaks a record for the most expensive piece of sports memorabilia ever sold. A Ruth jersey from 1920 previously sold for $4,415,658.
The auction was conducted at Yankee Stadium. The Yankees jersey was part of a collection of items that Ruth’s family put up for sale. His granddaughter, Linda Ruth Tosetti, says in a statement that a portion of the proceeds will go to charity.
- Handwritten 1923 letter from Babe Ruth to Boston Globe writer up for auction
- Babe Ruth, the First Modern Celebrity
- Babe Ruth's San Diego Visit Was an Arresting Experience
- Rare moon rocks set to sell for $1 million at auction
- Where Babe Ruth Still Draws Fans (and Liquor, Cigars and Hot Dogs)
- TAB Bank Provides Technology Company in New Jersey with a $4 Million Revolving Credit Facility
- Read the letter Babe Ruth wrote thanking a Boston Globe reporter in 1923
- Little League, Babe Ruth, softball field houses trashed at Worcester park
- Colin Kaepernick '#ImWithKap' Jerseys Sell Out in Record Time
- Plan to beef up security at Berks County buildings carries $1.64 million price tag