BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. — In a night of commanding words from some of the most accomplished women in entertainment at the annual Women in Film Gala Wednesday night in Beverly Hills, from the likes of Issa Rae, Viola Davis and producer Cathy Schulman, Amy Poehler put her own unconventional spin on the “empowerment speech.” Poehler, who was accepting the final honor of the evening, the Entrepreneur in Entertainment Award, simply read off a list of names: “A League of Their Own,” Patti Smith, “Fleabag,” ”The Virgin Suicides,” Judge Judy, U.S. Women’s Soccer, “American Psycho,” ”Russian Doll,” Dolly Parton. She continued listing off female creators and female-created shows and films for two and a half minutes. “Thank you, thank you,” Poehler said. “More, more, more.” It was simple, brief, and got the point across to the ballroom full of women working in the industry. She followed a riotously funny speech from “Insecure” creator Rae, who decided to take inspiration from her hip-hop idols and buck the social convention of women being humble. She said she was just going to say the opposite of, “What I would normally say.” “You future hoes need to bow down,” Rae said as the inaugural recipient… Read full this story
- Did Issa Rae Just Address Her Rumored Engagement to Louis Diame?
- Tina Fey and Amy Poehler's funniest Golden Globes quotes
- Issa Rae: ‘I Never Identified as a Nerd’
- 'SNL': Tina Fey and Amy Poehler Surprise With Some Mother's Day Tips With Emma Thompson
- Amy Schumer And Amy Poehler Really Want To Help NYC Waitresses. NYC Waitresses Wish They’d Just ‘Butt Out.’
- Amy Schumer Is the Comedic Genius We’ve All Been Waiting For
- Amy Schumer Responds to Her Backlash: I’m Not Going to Shut Up
- Dale Earnhardt Jr.’s Wife Amy Reveals ‘Prom Night’ Photo From Their NASCAR Awards Outing
- PHILUSA Corporation Honored at the Asia Pacific Entrepreneurship Awards 2019
- Travellers International Hotel Group, Inc. Honored at the Asia Pacific Entrepreneurship Awards 2019
Amy Poehler, Issa Rae recognized for their entrepreneurship have 335 words, post on www.startribune.com at June 13, 2019. This is cached page on IT Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.