The World Health Organization says Congo should exceed the grim milestone of 1,000 deaths from Ebola later on Friday. Michael Ryan, WHO’s emergencies chief, made the announcement at a news conference in Geneva. The Ebola outbreak that was declared in eastern Congo in August is already the second deadliest outbreak in history, and efforts to control it have been complicated by a volatile security situation and deep community mistrust. Ebola treatment centers have come under repeated attack, and a Cameroonian epidemiologist working with WHO was killed last month. Ryan says another attempted attack was made on the treatment center in Butembo city on Thursday but was repelled by security personnel. No one was injured. Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Congo says confirmed Ebola cases have reached 31; 9 deaths
- Congo ministry says Ebola outbreak worst in nation’s history
- Congo reports Ebola death close to busy Ugandan border
- Response to Congo’s new Ebola outbreak ‘highly complex’
- Four Ebola responders killed in troubled eastern DR Congo
- Three Ebola workers killed in troubled eastern DR Congo
- Backstory: 'This is my people who are dying' - covering Congo's Ebola outbreak
- Chance the Rapper, Solange, and Other Celebrities Mourn Mac Miller’s Death
- UN calls for end to Congo fighting to combat Ebola outbreak
- Risk of Ebola’s spread from Congo now ‘very high,’ WHO says
UN: Congo should exceed 1,000 Ebola deaths on Friday have 237 words, post on www.sandiegouniontribune.com at May 3, 2019. This is cached page on IT Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.