FILE – In this Friday, May 3, 2019 file photo, Vicki Lewis, mother of Isaiah Lewis, speaks to the crowd during a Black Lives Matter protest rally on the steps of the Edmond Police Department in Edmond, Okla. Isaiah Lewis was fatally shot by Edmond police April 29, 2019. Vicki and Troy Lewis, Isaiah’s parents, have requested a meeting with the Edmond mayor, Edmond’s city manager and the police chief. The city manager and police chief signed a letter in which they decline to speak with the parents because they have hired an attorney and because of the ongoing investigation of the death. (Sarah Phipps/The Oklahoman via AP, File) lessFILE – In this Friday, May 3, 2019 file photo, Vicki Lewis, mother of Isaiah Lewis, speaks to the crowd during a Black Lives Matter protest rally on the steps of the Edmond Police Department in Edmond, Okla. … more
Photo: Sarah Phipps, AP
Photo: Sarah Phipps, AP
EDMOND, Okla. (AP) — Officials from an Oklahoma City suburb where police fatally shot a black, unarmed teenager while he was naked say they won’t meet with his parents.
Edmond’s city manager and police chief signed a letter dated Friday in which they declined to speak with the parents of Isaiah Lewis because they have hired an attorney and the investigation of his death is ongoing. Vicki and Troy Lewis also requested a meeting with the mayor, who didn’t sign the response.
The parents’ attorney, Andrew M. Stroth, says Lewis’ race may have factored into his death.
Police say 17-year-old Lewis died April 29 after two officers who had been following the teen shot him after he broke into a house. Authorities say he attacked the officers, who initially used a stun gun to subdue him but shot him when that didn’t work.
- TX HIGH SCHOOL SHOOTING: Slain student's parents sue gunman's parents
- After court deal, disabled Miami teen, parents won’t lose home where she grew up
- Oklahoma teen convicted in 5 killings set for sentencing
- County leader declines to state preference for either A27 option
- Trump, North Korean leader to meet June 12; detainees freed
- Armenia's New Leader Pashinyan Meets Putin, Seeks Deeper Military Ties With Russia
- When Donald met Kim: US and North Korean leaders to meet in June
- Ethiopia meeting diffuses tension over dam project, leaders to meet every 6 months
- FBI, DOJ and Congressional Leaders to Meet Over Russia Probe
- Trump, Japanese leader to meet ahead of possible North Korea summit