Tensions between the United States and Iran have soared in recent weeks, with Washington dispatching warships and bombers to the Persian Gulf, and Tehran threatening to resume higher uranium enrichment. The tensions come a year after President Donald Trump withdrew from Iran’s 2015 nuclear accord with world powers and restored crippling sanctions. A timeline of recent events: May 5: John Bolton, the White House national security adviser and a longtime Iran hawk, announces the deployment of the USS Abraham Lincoln carrier strike group and a bomber task force in response to “a number of troubling and escalatory indications and warnings,” without providing details. He vows “unrelenting force” in response to any attack. ___ May 8: Iran threatens to enrich its uranium stockpile closer to weapons-grade levels starting July 7 if world powers fail to negotiate new terms for its nuclear deal. The U.S. responds by imposing sanctions on Iran’s metals industry. ___ May 9: The European Union urges Iran to respect the nuclear deal and says it plans to continue trading with the country despite U.S. sanctions. Trump says he would like Iran’s leaders to “call me.” ___ May 10: The U.S. says it will move a Patriot missile battery… Read full this story
- Iran slams proposed European naval mission in Persian Gulf
- Iran seizes 'foreign' vessel in Persian Gulf
- Zarif Says UK Using Drones in Persian Gulf Would Not Contribute to Region's Security
- Iranian President Demands Western Countries Leave Persian Gulf: 'Your Presence Has Always Been a Calamity'
- UK Sends Extra Forces to Bahrain Amid Tensions With Iran in Persian Gulf - Reports
- US Quietly Building Anti-Iran Coalition to 'Stand Watch' in Persian Gulf – Reports
- Iran shoots down US drone aircraft, raising tensions further in Strait of Hormuz
- Germany mulls joining European Persian Gulf naval mission
- Bahrain Wants 17,000 School Books to Be Reprinted Over 'Persian Gulf' Labeling
- Trump in Saudi Arabia signs $110B arms deal with Persian Gulf ally
Key events raising tensions in the Persian Gulf have 320 words, post on www.startribune.com at May 15, 2019. This is cached page on IT Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.