Tony Paul The Detroit News Published 11:57 AM EDT May 16, 2019 Detroit — Among the many Tigers struggling mightily at the plate these days, third baseman Jeimer Candelario figured to have one of the longest leashes. So much for that plan. Candelario was demoted to Triple-A Toledo late Wednesday night, and on Thursday he was replaced on the roster by Dawel Lugo. Manager Ron Gardenhire wasted little time throwing Lugo into the fray; he was batting seventh and playing third in Thursday’s opener of the four-game series against the Oakland A’s at Comerica Park. “We’re bringing him up here to play,” said Gardenhire, “not to sit.” Lugo, 24, who bats right-handed, was hot at Toledo, where he slashed .341/.393/.861 with two home runs, eight doubles and 14 RBIs in 32 games. That OPS of .861 is a whopping 159 points above his average for his minor-league career. Lugo, tied for fifth in hits in the International League with 43, was acquired by the Tigers in the July 2017 trade with the Arizona Diamondbacks for J.D. Martinez. He had a stint in Detroit last season and in 101 plate appearances, had one home run and eight RBIs. He will be the… Read full this story
- BattleTech review - long overdue turn-based spin on a strategy great
- Retirement community celebrates 18 residents who turn 100 or older this year
- Wagner, Husband Plead Not Guilty During Arraignment In Detroit
- Tiger Woods wins The Masters by one shot for his fifth Augusta title and 15th major crown
- Tiger Woods among late starters as tee times for The Open announced
- S.Africa's Tiger Brands looking at sale of processed meats business
- Mel Kiper names top three NFL Draft quarterback prospects
- Tiger Woods' Masters win has Jack Nicklaus 'shaking in my boots'
- Goat which had an unlikely friendship with a tiger that was supposed to eat him dies from ill health - and not as his playmate’s dinner
- How Tiger Woods’ ‘normal’ girlfriend healed golf’s flawed genius to achieve one of sport’s greatest ever comebacks
Detroit Tigers turn third base over to prospect Dawel Lugo have 335 words, post on eu.detroitnews.com at May 16, 2019. This is cached page on IT Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.