Amazon’s Echo Dot Kids, a smart speaker designed for children, fails to adequately protect children’s privacy by illegally keeping data on children even after their parents try to delete it, according to a new complaint from consumer advocacy groups. The complaint, filed by a coalition of 19 consumer and public health advocates led by the Campaign for a Commercial-Free Childhood (CCFC) and the Center for Digital Democracy (CDD), asks the Federal Trade Commission to investigate Amazon and the $35 device. Amazon markets the device as “a kid-friendly study buddy, DJ, comedian, storyteller, and more,” and promises “peace of mind” for parents who want to screen explicit music and other potentially harmful content from their kids. But the complaint alleges that parents may be risking their children’s privacy, alleging the kids’ version of Amazon’s Alexa won’t forget what children tell it, even after parents try to delete the conversations. “These are children talking in their own homes about anything and everything,” said Josh Golin, who directs the Campaign for a Commercial Free Childhood. “Why is Amazon keeping these voice recordings?”In a statement, Golin added, “The real purpose is to amass a treasure trove of sensitive data that it refuses to relinquish even… Read full this story
- Amazon Echo Dot vs. Echo Dot Kids Edition: Which should you buy?
- Black Friday week is here! Amazon has already released huge discounts on devices SEVEN DAYS ahead of the epic deals day
- Amazon's Echo Dot Kids violates privacy regulations, child advocates say
- Amazon has an even dozen new smart devices. Here’s how to order
- Full Amazon Black Friday 2019 deals revealed: Up to 50% off electronics and more starting this week
- Amazon Black Friday 2019 deals are live: Echo, Fire Tablets are just $29 today [Updated]
- Amazon Announces Big Deals, Reveals Black Friday Sale Actually Starts This Week
- Black Friday deals on Amazon devices: Prices slashed on Fire tablets and Kindles, Fire TV deals start soon
- Amazon UK Black Friday deals begin with hot discounts on Echo, Fire and Kindle
- 12 new Alexa features to up your Amazon Echo game
Amazon's Echo Dot Kids puts kids at risk, complaint alleges have 340 words, post on www.cbsnews.com at May 9, 2019. This is cached page on IT Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.