Sections SEARCH Skip to content Skip to site index Technology Subscribe Log In Log In Today’s Paper Technology | 3 Muslim Workers at Amazon File Federal Discrimination Complaint Advertisement Supported by ByKaren Weise May 8, 2019 SEATTLE — Three Somali women working for Amazon near Minneapolis have accused the company of creating a hostile environment for Muslim workers and of retaliating against them for protesting their work conditions, according to a filing submitted this week to federal regulators. In a letter with the filing, Muslim Advocates, a nonprofit legal organization representing the women, asked the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission to investigate what they argue are “systemic violations” of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. The law prohibits employment discrimination based on religion, among other things. The federal complaint is the latest escalation in an almost yearlong dispute between Amazon and East African workers in the area, which has one of the most organized groups of Amazon warehouse employees in the country. “We think an E.E.O.C. investigation is a key part of starting the process of holding Amazon accountable,” said Nimra Azmi, a lawyer on the case. An Amazon spokeswoman, Brenda Alfred, said in a statement, “Diversity and inclusion is central… Read full this story
- Momentum grows to break up big tech, as Amazon, Facebook, Google and Apple face scrutiny
- Muslim families say they were barred from NYC ferry over "security" concerns
- What to Do If You Are a Victim of Employment Discrimination
- Amazon's worldwide worker walkout is just the tip of employees' activism
- Amazon fired these 7 pregnant workers. Then came the lawsuits
- Muslim Families Denied NYC Ferry Rides For 'Security': Complaint
- Amazon or the military: Warehouse bosses pressured 3 workers to choose
- 40% of Muslim students surveyed in California say they’ve been bullied at school, report finds
- New York City ferry is sued for discrimination after staff member stops three Muslim women wearing hijabs and their eight children from boarding blaming 'security concerns'
- Correction: Pregnancy Discrimination story
3 Muslim Workers at Amazon File Federal Discrimination Complaint have 316 words, post on www.nytimes.com at May 8, 2019. This is cached page on IT Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.